Any person shall be eligible as a Regular member who is of the Protestant faith, above the age of eighteen years, and adheres to the Huguenot principles of Faith and Liberty, and is lineally descended in the male or female line from a Huguenot without regard to ethnic origins or particular section of the Protestant faith, who subsequent to December 10, 1520, and who, prior to the promulgation of the Edict of Toleration, November 28, 1787, emigrated from France to American or other County, or, a Huguenot who, in spite of religious persecution, remained in France.
A Brief History of THE HUGUENOT SOCIETY OF ILLINOIS
(adapted for this website from the document authored by Richard J. DuBourdieu, © 1995)
The organization has its roots in midieval France. In 1685, Louis XIV revoked the Edict signed on April 13, 1598 which had served to assure religious tolerance in France. This marked the beginning of the scattering of those French Huguenots from whom our membership descends. The Huguenot Society of Illinois was founded on November 29, 1955. The meeting was held at the Wedgewood Annes of Marshall Field's in Chicago. In the fall if 1956, Illinois Society banner was created. In 2015, the Illinois Society celebrates her 60th Anniversary, hosting the Eightieth Annual Congress of the National Huguenot Society in Springfield, Illinois.
The Huguenot Society of Illinois is pleased to be able to award at least one $500 Annual Scholarship to a member of The Huguenot Society of Illinois attending an accredited college or university. This scholarship may be renewed for up to four years, and is not limited to undergraduate work.
For more information or to request an application form please contact the President of The Huguenot Society of Illinois.
Officers 2015 - 2017
The Registrar stands ready to work on papers for prospective members.
Please contact her with questions and requests for application papers.
The Huguenot-Walloon Tercentenary Series issued in 1924 by the United States Postal Service celebrating the 300th anniversary of the settlement in New Netherlands, now the State of New York, by Huguenots.